The history of the faculty – in major events
1947 – The opening of the faculty as an academic unit led by Prof. Franz Heinrich (Haim) Ollendorf.
The faculty was called – the Faculty of Electrotechnics.
1965 – The changing the name of the faculty to the Faculty of Electrical Engineering.
2015 – Following a donation of 50 million dollars, the names Andrew and Erna Viterbi were added to the name of the faculty, thus forming: the Andrew and Erna Viterbi Faculty of Electrical and Computer Engineering (Professor Viterbi, a world-renowned researcher, has made significant scientific contributions in the field of electrical and high-tech engineering).
Until 1946, the Technion was located at the Hadar neighborhood (currently used as a museum).
1952 – The Fischbach Building (a building declared as a conservation building) is the second building built at the Technion.
1982 – The Meyer Building was built as part of EE faculty.
1987 – The Wolfson Microelectronics Center was added to EE faculty.
1996 – A two-story addition was done to the Meyer Building.
2007 – The Moshe and Sarah Zisapel Building, a Nano Electronics Center was added to the EE faculty.
2021 – Currently (under construction) the Zisapel Building (donated by Yehuda and Zohar Zisapel, graduates of the faculty).
Each year, about 400 undergraduate students and about 100 graduate students join the faculty.
In 2021, the faculty celebrated 15,000 graduates since 1938.