The Technion has delayed the commencement date for the academic year, moving it to January 14, 2024.
Since the beginning of the war, the Technion has been steadfast in its commitment to aiding students engaged in military reserve duty, offering them comprehensive academic and financial assistance.
In response to requests from IDF officials and after constructive discussions with them, the Technion’s administration has opted to postpone the start of the academic year by an additional week, now commencing on January 14, 2024. This adjustment, different than the approach adopted by other universities, aims to facilitate the return of more students from reserve duty and ease their return, ensuring smooth reintegration into academic life.
To further aid returning reserve duty students, the Technion has implemented various academic initiatives, including personalized academic mentoring and tutoring services. Additionally, a comprehensive support package has been designed to assist reservists, offering emotional support, financial aid, and more.
Dear Members of the Technion Community,
Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims’ families, the residents of southern Israel, and our defense forces.
The Technion administration has held a situation assessment meeting this morning with all relevant bodies on campus. We are vigilantly monitoring the evolving situation on the different fronts and preparing for multiple contingencies. Campus shelters are now accessible, and a situation room team is meeting on a daily basis.
Please note the following important announcements:
- Activities at the Technion campuses in Haifa proceed as usual, with the necessary adjustments to the situation, and with consideration and sensitivity to workers’ needs.
- The exams scheduled for this week have been postponed.
- Please ensure you are prepared for emergencies and are updated for the relevant procedures. Make sure you know where the shelters nearest to your office are.
For a list of the safe rooms and shelters on campus, click here
For guidance on how to behave during a missile attack, see the video.
- To stay up to date, please download the Technion app.
Please make sure you permit push-notifications from the app.
- We recommend you also download the Home Front Command app
- The Security Unit’s hotline operates around the clock at 04-8292222. More details
- As we announced earlier, the Technion Employee Recognition Event that was scheduled for this Thursday has been postponed. We will keep you posted about a new date.
- The Dean of Students Office remains available to provide assistance. For any concerns, please reach out to the student counselors at 077-8874112 during working hours, or at the following emails:
- The Human Resources department stands ready to provide Technion personnel with any assistance required, including emotional support and social assistance through “Eshhar”. Please contact Meital Bar-On, head of welfare division, at email@example.com, or Michal Bar Haim, head of personnel division at the Technion Research and Development Foundation (TRDF), at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Many students and faculty members have been called to reserve duty. Please stay safe and come back without harm! We’re here to offer all the support you need.
We urge everyone to closely follow and adhere to updates and guidelines disseminated via email, WhatsApp, the Technion website, and our social media platforms.